One of those days

Have you ever had one of “those” days? That was today for me. This morning we had an ultrasound for Littleman’s head. He’s in the 97th percentile for head circumference and has been spitting up a ton so our pediatrician wanted us to get a second look to make sure there wasn’t too much fluid in his skull. Needless to say, I was a bit of a mess this morning. I thought I had everything packed but I was jumping from one thing to the next so who was to say what I actually threw in the diaper bag.

We got to the radiology center exactly 15 minutes before the appointment. Right when they said to be. To me, this was late. One thing you’ll learn about me…I hate being late. And if you’re not early, you’re late. It’s an issue I’m working on lol. Anywho, we got there, checked in, and all was well. Until Littleman started to let out little toots. Great, I thought. He’s pooping. And sure enough, he was. I’ll spare you the nitty gritty, but I felt it through his pants you guys. We were called back into the room and the little really began to smell. I apologized to the tech and explained that he’d blown out of his diaper and that I’d need to change him quickly. She was a sweetheart and went out of the room to give us a few minutes. Another thing you’ll learn about me, I’m usually very prepared. Not today. Let me ask you, what is a diaper bag without any diapers? USELESS! I forgot diapers. How on earth did I forget diapers? My hubby flustered but oh so loving suggested wiping off his legs and throwing on another pair of pants. He also out loud questioned how I forgot to pack diapers. Note to husbands, never question a nervous mom at her peak. She won’t respond kindly. I threw on another pair of pants to hopefully mask the very full diaper right before the tech came back in.

She put the gel on top of his soft spot and began to snap pictures with the wand. Littleman loved playing with her sweater and the cord for about 10 minutes. And then he realized we weren’t going to let him roll over or move much at all. That did it. He lost it. Littleman goes from 0 to 100 in no time flat. The sweet tech kindly suggested feeding him. To which I replied that I had fed him right before we’d left so that he’d be full and calm. Clearly this did not work out in my favor. She stepped out again to give us a minute to try to calm him down. I tried everything. I rocked him. I gave him his favorite toy. I sang him a song. Everything but feed him because he shouldn’t have been hungry. But 4 or 5 minutes passed and I grew impatient. I just decided feeding him would be the best option for all of us at this point. I began to feed him when the tech walked back in. I got the look like “I told you so” and she smiled and said I’ll give you a few more minutes. She closed the door, I looked at my husband and said “She thinks I’m lying about when I fed him last”. He laughed. He didn’t understand why I cared. You see people always seem to think babies are hungry when they cry. I know I used to to before I had Littleman. But they cry for a ton of other reasons. I wanted to defend myself but all I could get out was “I just fed him again so he’d be happy”. Great answer Chloe great answer. Bonus though, while feeding him, hubby saved the day by running out to the car and finding a rogue diaper that was in the trunk. He swiftly hid it within a burp rag and snuck it back in. We changed him real fast before she came back in. *Wiped sweat off of forehead* We looked like put together parents on the diaper front at least.

She came back in and for a bit he was calm but basically wailed throughout the rest of the imagining. (AND, I forgot his favorite pacifier. It just wasn’t my day guys. ) However, we got the brain images and that was all that mattered. She explained that the results would take 1 to 2 days for the radiologist to go over and send to our pediatrician. We smiled and said okay but my heart ached. 24 to 48 hours? How was I going to make that time pass quickly? When was too soon to call the doctor to check on results? But… It was what it was. She left the room and we began to pack up Littleman. We put his toys and his diaper changing stuff back in the bag. Much to my horror, as I picked him up, there were poop smears on the chair cover! Littleman had leaked out of the second pair of trousers we’d put on him before we were able to find the rogue diaper! I was mortified. I put the rags we used to wipe off sweet boys head right on top of the smear so she’d be sure to see them. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to laugh and cry that hard at the same time before.

Littleman cried the whole way home but we made it. I rocked him to sleep and put him in his rocker and just sat down on the couch thinking what the heck just happened. It was like a mini tornado hit our morning.

We went about the rest of our days when at about 2 o’clock I saw a missed call. Quickly I dialed back and it was the medical office. Then sent me to another number… who sent me to another number. FINALLY, I reached the end result, our pediatrician. She had the results! Already? My mind quickly jumped to worst case scenario. Much to my surprise and relief, there was no extra fluid it was just a large head. This mama’s heart almost exploded with joy.

And thus the crazy day came to an end with joyful news. But still…a glass of wine felt due. Cheers ya’ll! Mamas give yourself some credit, if you kept the tiny human alive and healthy today you’ve done good.



She Loves A Latte

3 Replies to “One of those days”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *